Thursday 7 July 2011

Rails not taken...

               My favorite poet is Robert Frost. My love for his poems started from 3rd standard since i recited his famous work 'Stopping by the woods on a snowy evening'. Later in one of my high school English classes I learned 'The road not taken' which has been an inspiration to me from then. I love his poems for its illustrative quality. I am adopting a slight variation of that title to share my train travel experiences.
                 Since my college is in a district far from mine I stay in hostel and visit my home only when i get atleast 2 days off. I HATE BUSES. Hope that statement did not hurt anyone's feelings.Trains and me are friends even before I started telling ma or pa....well the evidence is a couple of pics of me with in cute little frocks sitting in my fathers arms with my thumb in my mouth. But now that i think about it, i feel that i don't hate all buses...just the ones that have cushion seats and closed windows and are meant to be more comfortable. I love the rickety ones with wind passing in and out freely and the ones in which one has to hold on to a pole or seat for his or her dear life. Otherwise chances are that you either get thrown out of the window or door (well doors are just imaginations) or you get crushed by some fellow travellers. It is exciting and adventurous. But trains are the Gandhian version of buses...calm and not dangerous as buses. Moreover you can walk around and even enjoy the scenery if you get a window seat. But i should warn you. This happens only during working days and never on a weekend.
                                             
               I will explain. I am in love with the intercity train. I only travel in that even if i get a train that reaches early.It takes almost 3 and half hours either way.During working days the train will already be there at the station....so I go an hour earlier gets the ticket and get to choose my seat as it will be almost empty then.But if it is a friday the train will only come at the right time and from the fly over the platform will look like a swarm of bees...all black heads...even if i go before an hour there won't be any use. When the train comes what happens typically is the "SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST".One might even see the old lady who was in wheel chair so far, running and pushing to get a seat. And by chance one feels like getting involved unless he/she is good in kungfu, karate or the like..it is likely that they will end up with a blackened eye or a lost shoe. Anyways so after one or two experiences, i decided to go home only on working days.
         

3 comments:

  1. exellent....... i jus went thru a stampede in train :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. finish ths fast dear.... im impatient.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete