Wednesday 6 July 2011

...continues

                         It is nearly night and my pudding is getting cooled in the freezer....but i had no patience to wait so long and for that matter i had it hot from the pan....hmmm it was heaven (and hell as my tongue almost got steamed). I  think my inventive hormones are raging. But let me tell you I find all the cutting of veg parts totally not connected with cooking or rather my experiments that all the chopping  process is done by my granny. Some of you might wonder where my mom is...she is at work and is pampered by granny to such an extend that she doesn't cook unless the situation badly demands it. I am bored of sitting at home.I am going to take a walk along the road to the small stationary shop next-door and buy some veggies. I remember seeing a chaat masala packet in the refrigerator...maybe i'l make an aloo chaat this time. To be frank i have no idea what it looks like or how it tastes. Who cares.
                          With half kg of small round potatoes and a little small talk with the shop owner, (which indeed led to my getting a free lime juice)  an old man who always smiles, i head back home. Grans and ma  are watching the new reality show on demand, grandpa talking about his ailments to air(he is past 70 and is healthier than me but finds himself quite inferior in that context. He claims of having all the sickness ever discovered by medical science starting from gas trouble to cancer) and my bro doing circus with a plastic chair. I find the kitchen inviting. Alright i think i'l boil the potatoes first....i drown 2 potatoes in water to boil..Smash it as if it is my worst enemy....and 15min later i am left with half fried potatoes coated with all the masala powders ever discovered including the chaat masala. Usually what i do at this point is taste it and troubleshoot it but this time i have something else in mind.


                         In our 5th semester at college we had an industrial visit trip that covered Bangalore, Mysore and Hyderabad and that's when i first tasted all the north Indian stuff. With every snack they will have a piece of lime and some onion rings in the plate. Why don't i give the lime twist to my recipe here (it was devil who gave me that idea as in cartoons where you  see a red one near your ear whispering things). I squeeze half a lime into the dish. Yup it is done. I make some rotis next and takes a generous portion of the curry and heads back to the dining room with a smart look on my face.
                        Grans is truly amazed by my cooking skills. She asks ' dear child where did you learn to make such things'. Well i just brings a modest look on my face and smiles humbly. The first bite.............................i feel like THROWING UP...good heavens!!! it is very limy and sour and everything it shouldn't be. Thank God nobody felt like tasting it. Now i should find a way to dispose it without anybody noticing. As if to take a glass of water i make my move to the kitchen again and throws it all in the waste bin...coats the rotis with ghee and sugar and heads back as if nothing happened. A quarter of the lime would have doe the job...it is not good to be generous always i realize. I think i need a break. Too much experiments can make one light headed..... I retrieve into my humble abode with a book in the hope of falling asleep and dream of all tasty food on earth....WITHOUT LIME.

No comments:

Post a Comment